Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Tallulah Pixie Bell said...

The other night when watching 'Footloose' (kevin Bacons electrifying performance & deserving rise 2 stardom film... amazing!)I was suddenly caught up in the 80s nostalgia & whilst dancing to all the wonderful soundtrack there was 1 particular songs lyrics that got me thinking; that being 'Bonnie Tylers'- 'Holding out for a Hero'... If you don't recall it, it goes...

"Where have all the good men gone
And where are all the gods?
Where's the street-wise Hercules
To fight the rising odds?
Isn't there a white knight upon a fiery steed?
Late at night I toss and turn and dream
of what I need

[Chorus]

I need a hero
I'm holding out for a hero 'til the end of the night
He's gotta be strong
And he's gotta be fast
And he's gotta be fresh from the fight
I need a hero
I'm holding out for a hero 'til the morning light
He's gotta be sure
And it's gotta be soon
And he's gotta be larger than life

Somewhere after midnight
In my wildest fantasy
Somewhere just beyond my reach
There's someone reaching back for me
Racing on the thunder end rising with the heat
It's gonna take a superman to sweep me off my
feet

[Chorus]

Up where the mountains meet the heavens above
Out where the lightning splits the sea
I would swear that there's someone somewhere
Watching me

Through the wind end the chill and the rain
And the storm and the flood
I can feel his approach
Like the fire in my blood"


...so bringing it back to my question:- PLEASE
Huge PI- I mean HUGH PI can you tell me- Where
Have all the good men gone? & what should I do to
keep him, that is if I'm lucky enough to find him.

3 Comments:

Blogger hughevans said...

Tallulah,

Once again I find myself showing my appreciation that someone new has joined my humble site to pick my brains about matters that are too difficult to handle alone. You are no longer alone Tallula - Hugh Evans PI is here.

And although I hear regularly that I am one of the good men, and I am very much here, my work is my only partner so I shall keep my own bachelorhood out of this most sensitive and, although rather lengthy, quite musically under-toned enquiry.

Let us define the expression 'Good Men'. If you take Aristotle's view, Oedipus was a 'good man' "by saving the city, ruling justly and searching for the truth although his anger could be seen as a flaw." I learnt this by visiting this site: http://www.123helpme.com/preview.asp?id=3558.

Now you have to be careful when it comes to people like Oedipus. Indeed Oedipus is famous for other much less savoury antics involving his parents, and if men got up to those sorts of things today, the mystery would be easily solved - all the "Good Men" would be behind bars!

I felt Aristotle's affinity for the bottle to distract my attention away from this theory anyway. Instead, I consulted the fittingly titled Good Book (aka The Bible) for answer's. To my delight I found that God himself has a strict definition of a 'Good Man':

A Good Man according to God is:
- One who is careful in his dealings with others
- One who is committed to seeking the truth
- One who is careful in his speech
- One who is morally pure
- One who places his confidence in God (He never was one to miss a chance for a bit of self-publicity)
- One who is concerned with the welfare of others
(Taken from the following site: http://www.cullendalecoc.com/bulletin_articles/definition_of_a_good_man.htm)


So - an interesting set of definitions there from He who must be obeyed...

But clearly a stern set of characteristics to uphold. It really seems to me that there are a lot of things involved in maintaining the status of a 'Good Man' these days. Fortunately, and this is where the plot takes an exciting and revealing twist - there is NO mention in the definition of 'Good Men', that these people need even be MEN! In its place the ambiguous pronoun 'One' is used.

So, in case you have missed where my conclusion is boldly heading, could it be that the Good Men (as defined by God Himself) in the world may actually not necessarily be Men? Most of those virtues are easily upheld by Church-going women. This could be where they have been hiding...

My advice, Tallulah, is that you head to wherever these 'women' hang out. Perhaps join the WI and learn to bake cakes for a chance to get to know them better. Who knows, with the right bun you may well bring out the inner Good Man and eternal happiness will be yours.

All the best in your quest.

Hugh Evans PI

3:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There is also John 'Goodman' of Roseanne fame (you know the fat man)... is he not your cup of tea?

6:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"A hard man is good to find...."

12:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home